Saturday, October 17, 2009

Luxury

October 15 - left Baan Dada Children's Home on a minivan headed to Kanchanaburi, and from there on a bus to Bangkok. Along the way to Kanchanaburi from Sangklaburi, we were stopped at three different immigration checkpoints. The officers randomly checked identification cards, and my passport. Because Sangklaburi is so close to the border, where there is a constant stream of Burmese/ Mon/ Karen refugees coming through, Thai immigration officials set up such posts to control immigrant populations and human trafficking.

I arrived in Bangkok in the late afternoon with my mind set on Saladaeng Inn, in the Saladaeng/ Silom area - a place which I had researched in depth online. I wanted to stay in a different area than I had previously, but more importantly, I wanted us to be near public transportation - namely, the BTS (skytrain) and MRT (subway). After arriving by taxi at Saladaeng Inn, I discovered that they only had one room available and it was a deluxe. I checked it out, but for the price, I was not impressed. Plus, the woman was not that friendly. So, I asked if there were any other places in the area, and she said just down the street.

I ended up at another guesthouse/ hotel called Ban Saladaeng, which was just the most adorable place. But they were booked. I asked the friendly gentleman if he knew of any other places for around 1000 baht/ night. He quickly made a call and informed me that a porter from the place would pick me up and carry my rucksack. How very nice of both of them. It turned out to only be a 5 minute walk, if that.

Saladaeng Residence. This is not technically a hotel, but a short/ long term residence, mostly for foreigners. They do not have a 24 hour front desk area or a lobby. We entered through the parking lot. They brought me to a room for 1,400 baht, and informed me that I could switch to a smaller room for 1000 baht the next few nights. Kara wouldn't arrive until tomorrow - October 16th.

I entered the room. OK, it was a luxurious suite/ apartment. After backpacking through Laos and spending 10 days at a children's home on the most western part of rural Thailand, I was so schocked, I didn't even know what to do with all the space. It had a kitchen area, a full bathtub, a dining room table, couches/ living room area, and a separate bedroom. It was a fully furnished apartment - huge and luxurious. I went out and got myself some food from Au Bon Pain (yes, this is Bangkok) and sat on the floor to eat in front of the HBO and Cinemax channels!! I couldn't even sit on the couch yet - how odd!

Well, this may have been a boring post - but it was my transition period from jungle/ rural backpacking to a luxurious (relatively speaking) 2 weeks with my sister, Kara. And I just cannot wait for Kara to arrive!!!

1 comment:

  1. the hotel/guest house sounds very nice...and the price seems very reasonable...and I think you deserved a little luxury after all your exotic and adventurous travels

    ReplyDelete