Saturday, January 23, 2010

Angkor Wat

You know how you hear about and see pictures in magazines of these incredible, historical sites around the world, and somehow, they often seem to disapoint - perhaps, because you have such high expectations?  Well, this certainly was NOT the case in Angkor Wat.  I've never encountered anything like it.  I could have stayed there for another week, had I had the time.  For sure, Angkor Wat and the surrounding temples (even more so than Angkor Wat itself) is one of the most amazing places I've ever been... its up there along with the Namib Desert, the castles in Portugal and the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul. 

Rachel and I got the 3-day pass ($40), though we only had the chance to use two of those days.  We rented bicycles both days, and cycled about 40 minutes to Angkor Wat from our guesthouse in Siem Reap.  Bicycles are $1/ day, or free from this one restaurant, Khmer Taste, if you eat there.  This is the same restaurant with the "Landmine Burger". 

Now, me and bicycles haven't really gotten along so well in the past.  So, I wasn't exactly confident getting onto the bicycle at first, and half expected me to not make it through the first day.  I thought I might have to give up and shove it into the back of a tuk tuk.  But, after I steadied myself, I was able to calmly ride through the hectic, non-sensical traffic! Not only did I make it through day one, but we managed to get ourselves up at 5:00 am the next day as well, cycle to Angkor Wat in the dark, and watch the sun rise over Angkor Wat!  Spectacular.

I could post hundreds of photos on here, but I'll leave that up to you to check out in my Picasa album of Angkor Wat.  Below, I've posted some photos of Rachel and I exploring the ancient ruins.


Below: A new day breaking over Angkor Wat


Below: Just after sunrise on day two.

Below: The cyclicts that we are.






Below: This tree's roots have grown over the ancient library's hallways.


Below: This little pavilion of a temple was considered a sacred place to be heard by the gods.  When you lean against the wall and pound your chest, the whole temple echoes with a drumming, vibrating sound.




Below: Posing with one of the many faces at Bayon.

2 comments:

  1. Another wonderful post. You look great on a bicycle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous pictures in Picasa. Now I know how to spell Angkor . . . Sending you love from Miami

    ReplyDelete