Monday, September 21, 2009

Chiang Mai/ Chiang Khong

No hassle (no getting kicked off the bus this time) 2 1/2 hour bus ride from Sri Racha to On Nut BTS station in Bangkok. Took the BTS to Asoke, then transferred to the MRT line. Arrived at Hualomphong train station, got my ticket: 2nd class seat w/ A/C. 7:20 departure. We left on the dot to the minute- unbelievable in Thailand. I almost missed the train, with my stuff on it while out on the platform having a cigarette.

The train was just a few cars, as the sleeper car (on which there were no more available seats) was unattached to this train. Maybe it left before. I never saw it. I would have thought all the classes and cars departing at 7:20 to Chiang Mai overnight would have been attached. Who knows... it's Thailand.

The floor was littered with dead and live cockroaches of all sizes. They were even crawling on the seats, so I was armed with my book shoving them off the seat next to me, and made sure to keep my feet up. The first seat I was in (at the very, very front of the train) started leaking. The light on the ceiling started dripping some unknown clear liquid (perhaps, just water), so I moved across. After about an hour or so, some unknown brown liquid starting dripping on the new seat, so I moved again - backwards. I finally got it right. They served me an iced tea and a small dinner with a little pastry dessert, as well as a blanket.

Bridget hopped on in Nakhon Sawan at 10:30 pm. By this point, the lights were already off. We were going to get a few beers to rock it on the train, but with the lights off and the few others on the train already nodding off, we rightfully decided against it.

All in all, we had a fitful night of constantly switching positions to try and get it just right. We did each have two seats, which had a nice, far recline. It wasn't the worst nor the most ideal by any means.

We arrived in Chiang Mai at 7:45 am. Met up with Georgeanna, Kelly, J, Emily, Caroline (and some others) at Smile Guesthouse. Went to a most awesome breakfast, and then chilled out at the pool all day. (I will fully do Chiang Mai another time). We went the weekend night market - and I bought more than I have my entire time yet in Thailand! Really, I just bought fisherman pants and a scarf (I don't know, but we all bought scarves, because you know, we need them in Thailand and all)...

We are now waiting for the 5 hour bus (departing at 1:00 pm) to Chiang Khong, the Thai border town, along the Mekong River. We will cross into Laos tomorrow morning.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a great adventure...especially the roaches and mystery fluid dripping on the seats...ick.
    Keep sending posts; they are fascinating to read.

    ReplyDelete