Friday, July 3, 2009

Cancelled Classes

Yesterday, due to the intense scare of swine flu all throughout Thailand, our last period classes were cancelled. I only found this out as I was waiting for the class to arrive, when fifteen minutes in, and hearing voices on the speakers, I decided to walk downstairs and find out what was going on. They, Thai teachers, then informed me that many students, and their parents, were frightened of swine flu, so the school decided to hold a health talk to calm them down. They asked me about M4/7, which I had earlier that day. Almost all my M4/7 students were wearing masks. The school's health talk was to calm their fears and inform students that we will continue to have school, and to only miss school if you are feeling very, very ill. Nonetheless, many students were missing today.

Today, two classes before lunch, Rachani Bpun informed me that we were not having any classes this afternoon due to another cleaning day. Also, all of M4 will be going to the temple to make merit. However, none of the Thai teachers were really too sure, and kept using the word "maybe", so we stuck around until 1:00 pm, just to have it confirmed. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of next week are religious holidays (hence, why M4 went to the temple), so I am headed to Koh Chang, the third largest island in Thailand near the Cambodian border, with a group of orientation friends and my co-teachers for the long weekend holiday! Catch up with you then...

1 comment: